EDO APC CONGRESS: JOURNALISTS BARRED FROM COVERAGE

Journalists who turned out to cover Saturday’s Congress of the Edo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) were barred by security agents from gaining entrance into the venu.

Officials of the Department of State Security at the entrance to the venue, who said they were acting on instructions, insisted that the Journalists must produce their accreditation cards instead of their Media houses identity cards before they will be admitted into the venue.

The congress, which was held inside the Sports Complex of the University of Benin, had delegates from the 21 local government areas of the state.

An official of the party who said he’s not a member of the Publicty Committi, however, disclosed that only five print Journalists and four broadcast Journalists were accredited to cover the event.

A delegate, Mike Afaliokhai from Etsako West Local Government Area, however, disclosed, after the congress that a new executive council members emerged through consensus.

According to him, the new executives are all members of the state’s Caretaker Committee of the party.

Chief Francis Inegbeneki, who earlier obtained chairmanship form to challenge retired Col. David Imuse, later stepped down, thus paving the way for Emuse to return as the State party Chairman.

Lawrence Okah was returned as the State party’s secretary while Mr Jarret Tenebe emerged Deputy State Chairman with Mrs Betty Okoebor as the State Woman leader.

Tony Kabaka was elected State Youth Leader while Hon. Fidelis Ogbejiele clinched the position of the State Financial Secretary, Mrs Josephine Ibhaguezejele was elected the State Senatorial Woman Leader, among others.

FG DECLARES TUESDAY OCT 19 PUBLIC HOLIDAY

The Federal Government has declared Tuesday October 19, Public Holiday to mark the Islamic festival of Eid-il-Maulud, a “commemoration of the birth of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him)”.

Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, made the declaration on behalf of the Federal Government, through a statement signed by the Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Dr Shuaib Belgore.

Aregbesola congratulated the Muslim faithful both at home and in the diaspora for witnessing this year’s occasion.

POLICE RESCUES 2 BABIES STOLEN AT GUNPOINT

Police in Akwa Ibom State said they had rescued two babies stolen from their parents at gunpoint in the state.

One of the infants is aged one month and three weeks while the other is six months old.

The Akwa Ibom Police command’s Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Odiko Macdon, disclosed this during a news briefing in Uyo yesterday.

Macdon said at the time of rescue of the six-month-old the abductors had concluded plan to sell the baby for N400,000.

“Based on a tip-off, the operatives of anti-child theft ambushed and arrested four robbery/child stealing syndicate and rescued a six-month-old baby.

“They are: Emmanuel Effiong ‘M’; Ibanga Sunday ‘M’; Editi Effiong ‘f’; and Idorenyin Iron ‘f’ of Ikot Okubo, Ibesikpo Asutan.

Investigation revealed that the syndicate used motor bike on Oct. 8, at about 9:00pm, masked their faces and invaded the house of Mr/Mrs Effiong Udo of Ikot Okubo Ibesikpo Asutan LGA at gunpoint.

“(They) beat the couple, inflicted injuries on them and abducted their six months old baby girl.

“Both Ibanga Sunday and Emmanuel Effiong are ex-convicts for robbery/Cultism.

“At the time of the rescue, arrangement had been concluded to sell the child for N400, 000.00,” Macdon said.

On the one month, six weeks old baby, Macdon said a 40-year-old suspect, Margaret Akpan, of Ekpene Ukim in Uruan LGA, went to the house of the mother’s victim, Mrs Blessing Ekwere.

He said that the suspect pretended to be sick and thereafter sent the said Blessing, the mother of the baby, to buy drugs for her.

He added that the suspect ran away with her baby boy before the mother returned from where she went to buy the drugs for her.

Macdon said  the commissioner of police, CP Andrew Amiengheme, remained committed to ensuring the state was safe and advised Akwa Ibom people to go about their normal businesses. (NAN)

LOOTED BENIN ARTIFACTS: JESUS TO RETURN BRONZE COCKEREL

The Benin Monarch, His Royal Majesty, Omo N’Oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Ewuare II, has commended Jesus College for taking this lead in making restitution of a looted Benin Bronze Cockerel by British Colonial Forces in 1897, given to the college in 1905 by the father of a student of the institution.

Oba Ewuare II also expresss hope that others will follow suit in the return of the artworks which in many cases are of religious importance to the Benin Kingdom.

According to the Monarch, “Finally, we wish to thank the student body of Cambridge University for bringing to light the historical significance of this revered piece of the Royal Court of Benin.

The decision to return the artwork to the current Oba of Benin’s Royal Museum comes after a campaign by the college’s students to return it, following the research on the historical, legal and moral status of the college’s ownership of the Bronze by its Legacy of Slavery Working Party LSWP, established in 2019.

The piece is set to be returned to Nigeria’s National Commission for Museums and Monuments (NCMM) in a ceremony at Jesus College attended by delegates from the commission and Benin, on October 27.

Master of Jesus College Sonita Alleyne said it is ‘a historic moment’ adding, “This is the right thing to do out of respect for the unique heritage and history of this artefact.”

“Since we took the decision to return the Bronze following the college’s Legacy of Slavery Working Party (LSWP) extensive research many organizations have followed in our footsteps.”

MAN 42 REMANDED FOR DEFILING 11 YEAR-OLD GIRL

A 42-year-old man, Jacob Joel, has been remanded in a Jos Correctional Centre for allegedly defiling an 11-year-old girl.

The Police told the court that the victim, who is a friend to the defendant’s daughter, was said to have been defiled allegedly by the defendant when she went to visit her friend.

The defendant, however,
pleaded not guilty to the
crime.

The judge, Justice S.P Gang,
in his ruling, ordered that the defendant be remanded in prison until Dec. 7, for hearing.

Fombot, told the court that the minor had visited the accused home to see her friend, but did not meet her at home.

Fombot said the victim,
however, met the accused at home alone who allegedly dragged her into his room, threatened her with a knife, and had carnal knowledge of her.

She alleged tı:at he accused
threatened her on several
Occasions, raping her
repeatedly.

The prosecutor said luck,
however, ran out on him when he took the minor to the bush to have carnal knowledge of her, but was spotted by her schoolteacher.

If convicted, the accused
could face life imprisonment.


The prosecutor said that
during police interrogation, the accused blamed it on the devil, saying ‘the devil tempted him’. (NAN)

NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF NGX RESIGNS

Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited has announced the resignation Oscar Onyema has resigned as non-executive director of the Nigerian Exchange Limited ahead of the listing of the Nigerian Exchange Group Plc.

Onyema’s resignation was announced by the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited after he served as the group managing director/chief executive officer on the main board of NGX

The resignation, according to the NGX, will uphold Rule 184(2)(a) of the Securities and Exchange Commission Consolidated Rules 2013 which states that a securities exchange shall have a code of conduct for its council members or board which shall be approved by the commission, and shall contain amongst others the following provisions, to wit, that the council members or board shall: (a) not be a staff of a quoted company and its subsidiaries.”

Chairman of NGX, Mr Abubakar Mahmoud, said, “On behalf of the board and management of the Exchange, I extend our heartfelt gratitude to Onyema for his selfless service to the Exchange.

“As he transitions into this new phase as the GMD/CEO of a listed company, we reiterate our commitment to act in the best interest of all Issuers to the benefit of all stakeholders in the capital market” Abubakar Mahmoud said.

RETIRED TEACHER ALLEGEDLY KILLS 32-YEAR-OLD SON

A retired teacher, Ikechukwu Nwobodo has been arrested by the Police for allegedly killing his 32-year-ond son, Chika Nwobodo in Enugu State.

The retired teacher, allegedly committed the act in Ogbozinne-Ndiagu, Akpugo Community, Nkanu West Local Government Area of Enugu State, as a result of the son’s was mental health status.

It was gathered that Ikechukwu conspired with some person to tie Chika up and he allegedly hit the son’s head with an iron rod, leaving him to bleed to death, after Chika was discharged from the Psychiatric hospital earlier that day.

Enugu State Police Command’s Public Relations Officer, Daniel Ndukwe, in a statement, said, three suspects have been arrested in connection with the incident, emphasizing that the command’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID), has commenced investigation to unravel the circumstances surrounding the death.

SEMINARIANS FREED AFTER 48 HOURS IN CAPTIVITY

Three Seminarians who were kidnapped by armed persons from the Chapel of the Seminary at Christ the King Major Seminary, Fayit Fadan Kagoma in Jema’a Local Council, Kaduna State, on Monday October 11, 2021, have been freed by their abductors.

The Chancellor, Catholic Diocese of Kafanchan, Rev. Fr. Emmanuel Okolo, in a letter to the Metropolitan Archbishop of Kaduna Province, vicar foranes and other priests, stated: “With hearts filled with joy, we raise our voices in a symphony of praises as we announce the return of our three major seminarians.”

“We pray God to hasten the release of those who are still in the hands of their captors.All our priests are directed to kindly celebrate Mass of Thanksgiving to God tomorrow, October 14, 2021, for the quick and safe release of our seminarians.

“May Our Lady of Guadalupe intercede for us and all those that are still in captivity,” Fr. Okolo added.

It could however, not be ascertained whether the N15 million reportedly demanded by the kidnappers was paid to facilitate the realease of the kidnapped Seminarians.

FORMER SENATE PRESIDENT EMERGES PDP NORTHERN CONSENSUS CHAIRMANSHIP CANDIDATE

PDP National Chairman: Ex-Senate president, Iyorchia Ayu, emerges northern consensus candidate

The governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, disclosed this while speaking with journalists after the stakeholders’ meeting held on Thursday at Bauchi Governor’s Lodge, Asokoro, Abuja.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the meeting was convened to produce a consensus candidate to be ratified at the party’s national convention scheduled for 30 and 31 October.

Mr Fintiri, who is also the chairman , PDP National Convention Organising Committee, said Mr Ayu emerged from the three aspirants presented by the three geopolitical zones.

The other two contestants, a former governor of Katsina State, Ibrahim Shema, and a former senator from Bauchi State, Abdul Ningi, withdrew from the race.

“In the spirit of ensuring that PDP emerges and benefits from our efforts, so that we can win together for Nigerians in the 2023 general elections, Ayu has emerged as a consensus candidate of the north.

“With this, we are fully prepared, we are ready. We will be talking with our colleagues from other parts of the country, especially the south, they see reasons for this consensus candidate and give us support during the 30 and 31 October convention of the PDP.

“All of them were immensely qualified but through discussion and reconciliation we have emerged with a consensus list that was endorsed by the candidates themselves.

“There was no election and there was no selection,” Mr Fintiri said.

He said there was “no victor, no vanquished”, adding “we all came out united.”

In his acceptance remarks, Mr Ayu commended the party leaders for the responsibility entrusted to him, saying “I believe at the end of the day I would not just be the northern candidate but the collective will of Nigerians.”

Mr Ayu pledged that the PDP would be back with its winning strategies.

SUPREME COURT OKAYS SOLUDO AS APGA CANDIDATE

A former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Professor Charles Soludo, has been affirmed by the Supreme Court as the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) in the Anambra State election slated for 6th November 2021.

The court in a unanimous decision dismissed the appeal filed by one Jude Okeke, on the grounds that it was an abuse of court process and lacking in merit and substance.

The five-man panel of justices upheld the judgement of the Kano State Division of the Court of Appeal, which validated the primary election wherein Prof. Soludo emerged the party’s candidate.

The court also affirmed Mr Victor Oye,  as the chairman of the party by a five-man panel led by Justice Mary Odili.

Delivering the five-man panel’s judgment, Hon. Justice Mary Odili consequently awarded the sum of one million naira against Jude Okeke in favour of APGA and Victor Oye.

Justice Odili upheld the judgement of the Court of Appeal, Kano division which earlier dismissed Okeke’s suit.

National Publicity secretary of the faction, Ikechukwu Chukwunyere, in his reaction to the Supreme Court judgment said APGA was still in control of the party under the leadership of High Chief Jude Okeke as the Supreme Court did not nullify his chairmanship of the party.

“That the Supreme Court declared that issues of political party squabbles are non-justiciable hence did not declare Victor Oye as Chairman of APGA and neither did the Court of Appeal, Kano Division.

“That the Deputy National Chairman of the party, Alhaji Rabiu Aliyu, has conceded to the chairmanship of the party of Chief Jude Okeke in line with the decision of the Supreme Court that internal party squabbles of political parties are non-justiciable and can only be resolved by political parties.

“That the removal of Edozie Njoku from office by NEC of our Party remains valid as this issue of his removal was never decided by the Court and remains unchallenged,” Ikechukwu stated..